"For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us."
The pastor went on to say that the "Yes" answers to our prayers are just around the corner. Have an illness, difficult relationship, or other need? This pastor would say that your healing, break-through, husband, and prosperity are just a prayer away.
Unfortunately, I believe this pastor hasn't interpreted Paul's words quite accurately. I'd love to think that if I just pray, obey, and wait, all my prayers will be answered "Yes!" But, God hasn't promised to give us everything we request. Sometimes, God's answer is "No." Sometimes, we aren't healed. Sometimes, we don't get the job we want. Sometimes, we struggle financially.
Notice, Paul doesn't say "Everything you ask of God is Yes, and in Him Amen." Instead, he says, "All the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen." If you expect to have all your prayers answered "Yes," should you just pray hard enough and be a good enough person, you will be horribly disappointed in yourself and in God. Instead, he wants us to focus on His promises, which are guaranteed. And, praise God, his promises are enough!
Is your child disappointed by a "No" answer in his or her life? Remind your child of our loving God's promises.
- And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
- For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39).
- Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you. (Hebrews 13:5)
- Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day. (2 Timothy 1:12)
- So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter. May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. (2 Thess. 2:15-17)
- But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. We have confidence in the Lord that you are doing and will continue to do the things we command. May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance. (2 Thess 3:3-5).
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Is. 41:10).
Looking for a promise of God to fit your current situation? Find one here.